Cream cheese strawberry danish
2 sheets frozen puff pastry thawed
* 6 ounces cream cheese softened
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 egg beaten
* 1/4 cup coarse sugar
* 1/2 cup pie filling of choice or diced fresh fruit
* Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
* Place the puff pastry sheets on a non stick surface such as parchment paper or a baking mat.
* Use a 4 inch round cookie cutter or drinking glass rim to cut 4 circles out of each sheet of pastry. See recipe notes for ideas on what to do with leftover pastry scraps!
* Using a small knife or a smaller cookie cutter, score a circle about 1/2 inch in from the edges of the pastry rounds.
* Use a fork to prick all over inside the smaller circle.
* Place the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl of a mixer. Beat until smooth and creamy.
* Gently spread the cream cheese filling inside the smaller circle of each pastry round.
* Brush the edges of the pastries with beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
* Bake for 17-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
* Cool, then spoon 1 tablespoon of pie filling into the center of each pastry. Serve.