Spinach and ricotta roll
7 oz Baby Spinach, washed
* 1 clove Garlic, minced
* 300g / 10 oz Ricotta
* 1/3 cup Parmesan, grated
* 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
* 2 Eggs, (1 for the mixture, 1 lightly beaten for brushing over the rolls)
* 2 Green Onions / Shallots, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
* Salt + Pepper, to taste
* 2 sheets Frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
1. Preheat oven 180C / 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove two puff pastry sheets from the freezer and allow to thaw.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring regularly, then add spinach and cook until wilted (approx. 3 minutes). Season with salt and pepper, and set aside to cool.
3. Add ricotta, parmesan, cheddar cheese, 1 egg and shallots / green onion to a mixing bowl.
4. Squeeze any excess liquid out of the spinach (just with your hands over the sink), then place into the mixing bowl, and mix well to combine.
5. Cut each puff pastry sheet into half to create two rectangles. Make a log shape with the filling along one side of a piece of pastry. Brush the opposite side with the beaten egg. Roll up tightly to enclose, keeping the seam side down.
6. Place the rolls on a cutting board and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
8. Remove the rolls from the fridge Brush with beaten egg, then sprinkle sesame seeds on top. (Optional)
9. Place rolls onto baking trays, spacing evenly, and cook for 25 minutes or until golden, crispy and cooked through.