Thai coconut lime shrimp
1 pound jumbo shrimp shell off and tail on
* 4 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
* 2 gloves garlic minced or pressed
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
* 1/2 onion sliced
* 1 cup coconut milk
* 4-6 tablespoons high quality fish sauce start with 4 tablespoons and add more to taste
* 2 tablespoons peanut butter
* 2 tablespoons lime juice about 1/2 large lime, juiced
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons ground ginger
* 2 tablespoons basil leaves chopped
* 2 tablespoons lime leaves chopped
1. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails on. Place the shrimp in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the oil, garlic, kosher salt and red chili flakes. Toss to coat and let marinate for 10 minutes.
2. Heat a skillet over medium high heat with 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer the onion to a bowl.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet and cook half of the shrimp for 2 minutes, then flip and cook for another 2 minutes or until opaque. Transfer the shrimp to a plate. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and cook the remaining shrimp then add to the other shrimp.
4. In another bowl mix the coconut milk, fish sauce, peanut butter, lime juice, brown sugar and ground ginger and stir well.
5. Transfer the cooked onion and peppers to the skillet and pour the coconut milk mixture . Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
7. Add the shrimp to the skillet with the basil and lime leaves and toss to coat. Serve over rice or noodles. Garnish with more lime leaves and basil, chopped green onion and sliced red jalapeño of desired!